To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 


    held at City Hall room 263    1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place   San Francisco, CA  94102


                             The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters 

                              stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up 


(ACTION) Roll call.

President Stiglich called the meeting to order at 5:36pm. Comms. Hale, Queen, Beijen, Fetico were present at the gavel.  Comm Rojas arrived at 6:59pm.  Comm Ricci was excused.



(ACTION) Review and approval of September 27, 2006 meeting minutes, & May 3, 2006 Facilities Committee minutes

The minutes of September were approved as written.  Comms Queen and Rojas approved the Facilities Committee minutes.

(public comments)
There were none.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission

P. Johnson, a female, spoke about her concerns for raising children in SF.
Jessica Hazard Tawqi asked for an opinion from the City Attorney regarding any conflicts of interest of any current Probation Commissioners who have a contract with the Dept.



(DISCUSSION) Chief Probation Officer’s report:

·         Review of recent population stats for juvenile hall and what can be done about them.

The Chief reported that they have been very concerned about the rise in the population and have initiated various measures to address it. He referred to several documents showing various population stats, that bottom line, showed more admissions than releases in Oct. 

Some highlights: 87% youth of color, 27% out of county /undocumented youth,  Residence: 23% from Bayview, 10% Mission, 15% Western Addition. Charges: 20% robbery, 6.7% assault with deadly weapon.

Overrides 46% of those not reaching threshold detention numbers were overridden.  Youth with longest stays in JH are those awaiting adjudication. Delays may be from dispositional reports/recommendations being contested, resulting in continuances and further detention in JH, or dispositional decisions, which are appealed.  There are many 707 cases (determination to file as adult), most of which end up being tried as juveniles.  Detention alternatives are not being accessed to their capacity.

The Chief further said that information regarding the utilization of the Risk Assessment Instrument might not be totally accurate. Additionally, the staff that completed about 30% of all RAIs at the “front door” recently retired (abruptly), leaving a further inconsistency in its application.

The Chief holds a weekly meeting w/ supervisors, Dir of Probation, Dir. of Juvenile Hall (JH), to review the house list (Mon 4pm) He looks at all the RAI overrides daily.  They have a daily 2pm meeting with all relevant parties regarding any specific youth in JH to develop the principles of their dispositional plan and their release plans. They want to have a detention release plan ready even before the court review. They have a weekly risk management meeting run by division directors to identify detention alternatives that can be employed. Some contracted CBOs are introducing themselves to Supervision Supervisors so that more Dept staff can be aware of the resources that can and should be used.

He has proposed a Friday afternoon detention review calendar, to see if there’s any way of releasing some for the weekend. He also proposed authorization to do administrative releases by the CPO, and a restriction of weekend sentences until the population was under capacity. The judges now get a daily copy of the house list with other info (eg. how long they’ve been in, status of the case), and detention alternatives available –this list is also posted in the courtrooms.

He said what he still needs is a central “point” person that anyone can go to for up to date and accurate information about all these resources so that their utilization is maximized and consistent and the status of detained youth can be reduced.

·         mentioned another assessment instrument (YASI) they want to use to assess youth coming to JH.

·         is looking for national models of systems response protocols as to detention capacity.

·         is trying to get at least 20 youth referred to DDAP as soon as possible.

·         has spent more time in the JH units to assure that the health and safety of the youth and staff are not badly affected by the numbers. Staff is doing a commendable job in keeping youth engaged and morale high.

Comm. Beijen commended the Chief and staff on their efforts, and said he wanted to see a different process at the front door so that no youth was admitted until various things are done to establish a certainty of need for detention.

Comm Fetico asked if the population is broken out according to ethnicity. The Chief said they could pull that out. He said there were 5 white youth out of the 90 admitted.

Comm Hale said that police charge youth based on arbitrary criteria (bias).

Comm Fetico noted an incident involving youth he knows, where it appeared that each was charged differently maybe due to race.

President Stiglich commended the Chief on efforts to date regarding the increase in population.

The Chief asked if it would be a possibility to ask for payment from other counties for the Dept holding their youth in JH longer than a certain period of time (currently 25% of admitted youth are out-of-county, with an average stay of 7 days).  If the Dept could impose charges for the cost of detention, the parents of out-of-county youth detained here may move more quickly to remove those youth.  The consideration was also raised of charging the counties.

(public comments)

A staff from DDAP spoke off mike and was not picked up but her comments regarded bringing more attention to getting youth out of detention as early as possible.



(DISCUSSION) Report from September Jarrett, Director of Policy and Planning, Dept of Children, Youth and Families on DCYF's Children Services Allocation Plan

Margaret Brodkin, Director of DCYF, gave an overview of the process by which they come up with their children’s services allocation plan (proscribed by the Children’s Amendment of 2000, which created 3 yr funding cycles), which will be given to the Bd of Supervisors in Dec. for approval. She showed various documents that described the proportion of funds going to the various priority service areas they been funding.  They are not planning to make drastic changes to the overall plan, but rather build on successful initiatives. Many of them are inter-departmental efforts. There is a large emphasis on youth workforce development, especially in serving youth of this Dept. One program, “New Directions” is exclusively for probation youth. They have also taken over support of two initiatives that this Dept used to help fund: beacon centers, and case managers.

Comm Hale asked the Chief if there had been discussions regarding the cuts in support for violence prevention activities.  The Chief said that they had talked about including violence prevention in school curriculum, in getting parents to address and teach the younger siblings in their homes.

Comm Hale spoke briefly about a gang summit at the Presidio, that he attended this day.

(public comments)

Jessica Tawqi mentioned that there is still a large lack of money to make up for the $2 mil in cuts to violence prevention activities.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Scope of audit of the Dept by the Controller.

Peg Stevenson, Director of the City Services Auditor division of the Controller’s office reviewed what the performance audit would accomplish for the Dept. but said that normally this would not be done for the Dept at this time since it has been looked at various facets, several times over the past 8 yrs.  They will attempt to give 500 hrs of audit work to the Dept this fiscal year (eg of a 500 hr audit is the one for Treasure Island).

They are undertaking a citywide audit on payroll to identify fair/unfair allocations, legal/illegal allocations, or just bad practices. They are also going to look at CBO compliance standards.  They also do “post audit testing” where they look at transactions to see the error rates in the process.

Comm Beijen referred to a list of suggestions for areas for the audit, submitted by Mark Lui (attached at end of minutes).

Lui said that payroll is the largest cost to the Dept. They continue to work on workers comp. They also have significant costs in the post positions (exceeding $100K/yr for each counselor that is out).  The CBO contracts. 

President Stiglich asked P. Stevenson if there was a follow up of the workers comp review to see how the recommendations were implemented? Stevenson said since this was not a performance audit, there wasn’t the normal follow up done, but the ongoing citywide analysis of workers comp includes how the Dept is doing.

Comm Beijen asked Lui if the list represented his priorities. Lui said, “yes, it did, based on the amounts of money and the relative risks that, at least from our points of view where we felt there could be some benefits in terms of looking at these areas.”

Comm Fetico said that his interest was to get a full audit of the Dept’s financial processes and a performance review of how the Dept was operating overall and why things were the way they were: eg. why there was just one staff in the community programs division to deal with contracts.

Comm Hale said he was also in favor of a full audit of the Dept. If it could not be done in one year, then he wanted to see the plan that clearly delineates what would be looked at and when so that all areas needed were covered.

P. Stevenson said that the way they approach an audit is “risk based”. Looking at areas where a great amount of money is spent, and looking at known or potential weaknesses in that process.  She mentioned a little about a monitoring project of CBO contracts they are now doing to streamline individual (and somewhat duplicative) monitoring done by various city departments of those CBOs. This Dept is now a part of that monitoring evaluation being done by the Controller.

Comm Queen reviewed that an overall performance audit of the Dept was part of the original request from Comm Fetico. His own interest is in how each division of the Dept is performing vs. the goals set for each. He’d like to see, aside from the contracting process, the audit at least include one division of the Dept, like Probation Services.

P. Stevenson said perhaps the Commission could take a couple of things that are in place to get at the structural issues that they are thinking of, rather than saying a comprehensive audit activity. She said she thinks it more beneficial to look at an area of concern where they know there is a management issue or a processing problem, or a particular type of job classification that really needs analytical assistance.

The Chief described some effort now being made to do performance evaluations of probation services staff.  Comm Queen commented that maybe an outside body can also be used in conjunction with what the Chief had already set up.

P. Stevenson said perhaps the Commission could take a couple of things that are in place to get at the structural issues that they are thinking of, rather than saying a comprehensive audit activity. She said she thinks it more beneficial to look at an area of concern where they know there is a management issue or a processing problem, or a particular type of job classification that really needs analytical assistance.

Comm Hale said he’d like a review of the Title 4e reimbursements to see what can be done to maximize this as a source of revenue for Log Cabin also.

The Chief described some effort now being made to do performance evaluations of probation services staff.  Comm Queen commented that maybe an outside body can also be used in conjunction with what the Chief had already set up.

P. Stevenson reviewed that there has been two audits done on very large issues of the Dept (WC and JH staffing), the Dept has a new Chief, who has a long history of work in this field, and the Dept is getting a new finance and admin chief, so with all things considered, this Dept is in a better position than many other depts.

President Stiglich said that an outside auditor should be utilized for areas the Dept doesn’t have the expertise to do itself, especially in financial matters, or in areas the Dept has shown it has not been able to do a good job, eg. CBO contracting. 

P. Stevenson said that the Commission has plenty of time to decide, the Controller could not start  their work until February, more likely March.

Comm Beijen will take this back to committee and work out something with the Dept. to present next time.

(public comments)

Abraham, Inner City Youth, working with Dept youth, commented that there are many aspects of the Dept’s work that an audit could attend to, but he was interested in finding out if there were ways to “track” youth who leave the dept, so they do not lose contact with them in the communities.


(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Further discussion and possible action to formalize a supplemental budget request from the Commission and Department, to the Mayor and Board of Supervisors.

President Stiglich asked the Chief to briefly summarize what happened at the Bd of Supervisors Finance Committee.  He reported that  he went to support the Mayor’s supplemental budget request, which included $66K for the Dept to pay OT to provide visitation to youth in the community.

President Stiglich reported that she has had informal discussions with about 2 Supervisors, and formal discussions with about 5 of their offices. She mentioned that Supervisors Dufty and Daly supports some new positions for the Dept. Supervisor Peskin was more inclined to support the position more than the CBO add-backs.  She said that if individual commissioners had personal familiarity with any supervisors that she has not had a response from, possibly they could get in touch with those.

Comm Queen commented that it was his understanding that the position of the Commission was that the Bd of Supervisors should support the add-backs to CBO contracts that were taken away, with special attention to front line activities (and even advocating for more than just returning the cut funds, but to increase the amount given to violence prevention).

(public comment)

A staff from CJCJ (DDAP) said that it is clear that there is a great disconnect among those in the field offering services in the criminal justice field, and encouraged more communication amongst the players.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Possible action to adopt a commission attendance policy, per request from the Mayor and Bd. Of Supervisors.

Comm Hale was opposed to instituting any policy beyond what is already in place.

This item was tabled till the next meeting                                                     

(public comments)


(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Review of discussion, for possible action, the naming of spaces in the new juvenile hall facility.

This item was tabled till the next meeting
(public comments)



(DISCUSSION) Committee reports, other reports

·         Program committee

Comm Fetico reported that they spoke about CBO contracts and how the CMS database at DCYF can be used to assist in evaluating those contracts.  At this point there are about 6 contracts that have not been completed.   The committee to look into girls services is set to meet tomorrow (10/24).  

·         Finance committee

Comm Beijen reported that the committee discussed the topic of the audit with Harriett Richardson. They reviewed that of the CBO contracts, 30 were in the City Attorney’s office, and 6 remained to be completed.  The topic of the supplemental budget was passed to the full commission for tonight.  The idea of preparing the budget now was a good one and the committee will be following up on having a timeline set up to begin this.  One question was raised, that being the need for a new hire in the position of a researcher/evaluator.

Comm Hale asked if CBOs that did not have a contract in place would be paid for all those months since July?  The Chief did not know.

·         Facilities committee

Comm Rojas said they briefly looked at the JH project progress, and some of the projects that were on a list of concerns for the Dept.  these will be looked at further in future meetings.  On an aside she spoke about her visit to LCR.

·         Ad Hoc committee on performance evaluations

Comm Queen said that a meeting between the committee and the Chief would be set up.

(public comments)

there were none.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission

There were none.



(DISCUSSION) Requests for future agenda items. 

There was a brief discussion about setting the next schedule of meetings for the full Commission.  It was decided that in Nov. it would be held at YGC on Nov. 15, thereafter it would be the 2nd Wed of each month.



(ACTION)  Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:02pm.



Payroll/$18.5 Million Budget:  Comparison of payroll to authorized positions.  Review of overtime documentation and scheduling practices. 

Workers Comp/$1.2 Million Budget:  Review of Workers Compensation policies and practices and progress in overall reform efforts.

CBO's/$4.4 Million Budget:  Review of CBO compliance to financial and program requirements.  Review of JPD contracting process and practices.

Revenues/$7.7 Million Budget:  Review Title IVE and other grant and subvention practices with a focus on possible opportunities for increased grant revenues, subventions, and reimbursements.

Food/$475k Budget:  Review policies and procedures for food ordering and purchasing.

Energy Costs/$805k Budget:  Review energy costs and evaluate efficiency and usage practices.

Telephone Costs/$221k Budget:  Review and evaluate efficiency and usage practices.


Compliance with Controller's and Purchasing requirements is completed on a yearly basis during the Controller's annual Post Audit.

(fr: Mark Lui)