To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 


held at City Hall room 400  1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place  San Francisco, CA  94102


The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commiission on the matters  

                                                   stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up



(ACTION) Roll call.

President Stiglich called the meeting to order at 5:40pm  Comms. Beijen, Fetico, Queen, Ricci were present at the gavel. Comms. Hale and Rojas were excused.



(ACTION) Review and approval of March 29, 2006 meeting minutes

The minutes were approved as written.

(public comments)
There were none.


Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission
There were none.


(DISCUSSION) Setting up a performance review of the Chief

Comm Fetico suggested setting up a meeting to set up criteria for a performance evaluation of the Chief.  Comm Ricci agreed that the Commission should decide what goals it wants to set for the Chief. The Commission also needs to do a performance review for its Secretary.   It was suggested to look at past reviews done to see what categories were used.  Comm Stiglich said she’d like to have the Chief inform the Commission of the goals he wants to accomplish (he had a list he mentioned during his job interviews). Comm Stiglich suggested that individual Commissioners come up with areas they would like to include in the review and then a final set of criteria could be derived from those ideas. Comm Fetico agreed.  Comm Stiglich suggested that a further discussion be held at the next full Commission meeting, in the meantime she will speak with the City Attorney for further guidance.

(public comments)

There were none.


(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Establish protocols for communication/coordination between Program and Finance Committees.

The item was tabled till the next full Commission meeting.  Comm Stiglich referred to a document from a previous Commission retreat that was related to this topic (Comm Queen supplied copies).

(public comments)

There were none.


(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Recognition and acknowledgement of past commissioners.

The item was tabled so Comm Hale could present his ideas about this topic.

(public comments)
There were none.


(DISCUSSION) Naming of facilities and/or spaces in YGC.  

Tabled to the next full Commission meeting.

(public comments)

There were none.



(DISCUSSION) Committee reports, other reports

·         Program committee

Comm Beijen reported that there was a positive report from LCRS Director on the improvements to programs and operations at the ranch, with higher expectations and goals for both staff and youth there. There will be assessments done by SPY, and 2 therapists working there. They will initiate family therapy and later weekend furloughs. There are new vocational programs in place and an extended learning day. There was an announcement that Dept RFPs would be ready this week, and that the Bd of Supervisors had approved a supplemental budget request from the Mayor, which included a million for the Dept’s work at LCRS.

·         Finance committee

Comm Fetico reported that they were making progress in understanding how the ‘05-‘06 budget was going, where spending was in line and where there was still room for improvement.  He is trying to get the division directors more on top of their own budgets so that there are more eyes and minds being used for daily oversight.  This will make the next year’s operations more transparent, stronger and tighter run. Comm Ricci mentioned that the Dept is having discussions with other depts to see that funding of community based services is done through the appropriate dept (eg. health related, by public health).  Comm Queen mentioned that this was a topic that was discussed at a previous Commission retreat (refer to the notes/documents from that meeting).

(public comments)

Comm Fetico asked if anything was said about girls’ services?  There was not.  Comm Ricci suggested the newer commissioners go around the Dept and get acquainted with those working in the various divisions and see what is going on.  This would give a fuller familiarity with the Dept, and possibly answer questions they might have.

Comm Stiglich wanted the commissioners to be mindful of staff time when requesting information from the Dept, so that their time isn’t taken away from service to the kids in order to provide service to the Commission.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission

Denise Coleman of CARC noted that RFPs are now out for the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice and there are funds for girls’ specific programming.



(DISCUSSION) Requests for future agenda items. 

Comm Beijen had two items: reports regarding youth held in JH awaiting placement, and protocols to eliminate unnecessary referral/intake in JH when CARC is the appropriate referral.

Comm Ricci asked that a report from the Facilities Comm. be included.



(ACTION)  Adjournment

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:23pm