To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 


held at Youth Guidance Center Cafeteria   375 Woodside Ave    San Francisco, CA  94127


      The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters 

                                stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up


(ACTION) Roll call.

The President called the meeting to order at 5:34pm Comms. Beijen, Queen, Ricci, were present at the gavel.  Comm Fetiçō arrived at 5:37pm.  Comms Hale and Rojas were excused.



(ACTION) Review and approval of October 23, 2006 meeting minutes

Upon motion and second, the minutes were approved as written.

(public comments)
There were none.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission
There were none



(DISCUSSION) Chief Probation Officer’s report:

The Chief took a moment to commend all those staff that made the opening ceremonies for the new juvenile hall facility a big success.

The Commission spoke positively about the event and thanked the Chief and Dept staff for their efforts.

(public comments)

There were none.



(DISCUSSION) Report on status of CBO contracts.

Lonnie Holmes reported that 18 of 21 of those RFP’ed were completed and active.  Of the baseline-funded programs, 16 of 20 are complete. (3 have not completed their work plans)

Comm Queen asked what was keeping them from completion. L. Holmes said there were issues with regards to processing and business and finance, in terms of funding issues. These are being worked out. The others were still completing their work plans to be put into the CMS, and negotiating work plans.

Comm Queen expressed surprise and said that it is unacceptable at this late date in the year to still have contracts that hadn’t been completed, and the public comments he heard tonight shows a serious breakdown in communications. He wanted to know why contractors have not been kept up to date about their contracts and where the breakdown was.  The Chief said he’d find out what the problem was.

(public comments)

Denise Coleman, Huckleberry, asked what the status of their contract was, as they haven’t been paid yet.  (Holmes said their work plan had just been entered into the CMS this day).

Norma Hotaling, SAGE, was also confused, saying that their initial contract, which she signed, was never honored, and instead the Dept modified it with an additional $14K, but that hasn’t been approved so now she’s still waiting for payment. She didn’t’ know what was happening.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Possible action on Finance Committee recommendations on the scope of audit of the Dept, by the Controller.  

Comm Beijen read the following recommendations for the full Commission’s consideration:

1.   Audit the contracting process and CBO compliance with financial and program requirements.

2.   Job/classification study (allocation and distribution of staff -- is it most efficacious/appropriate?).

3.   The Management Information System (CMS, including JJIS -- efficient, adequate, or not.

4.   Assess the Community Programs Services Division's management structure.

5.   Assess the efficacy of the relationship between Probation Services Division and CBOs (including JDAI). 

6.   Assess the management's coordination re: usage of detention alternatives and other community programs.

7.   Assess the Department's case management practices

Upon motion by Comm Beijen, seconded by Comm Queen, the vote was called and carried 5-0. (Comm Hale and Rojas excused from voting: absent)

(public comments)

Denise Coleman supported the motion.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Possible action to adopt a commission attendance policy, per request from the Mayor and Bd. Of Supervisors. 

There was a short discussion about this, with some commissioners being opposed to it, while others were neutral.  President Stiglich asked the Commission Secretary if there were already rules in place regarding attendance and he said that he couldn’t recall if the Commission rules contain any, but the City Charter did.  Rebecca Katz, Dep. City Attorney, read both the Commission rules and the Administrative Code sections regarding attendance of commissioners.

The Chief mentioned a recent ordinance regarding Bd. of Supervisors being able to participate in meetings via teleconferencing, but didn’t know its impact on commissions. 

The item was tabled for a future discussion.

(public comment)

There were none.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Review of discussion of the naming of spaces in the new juvenile hall facility, for possible action.  

Comm Fetiçō commented that while acknowledging staff, we shouldn’t overly emphasize this because at the end of the day it is still a place of “lock up”.                                            

(public comments)
John Redogno, Counselor, endorsed a naming opportunity for Liz Aragon, and said that he, Comm Queen, and others in the Dept had a discussion about the way this could be done. They talked about plaques in the walkway area and felt positive about this means.  Counselor Thomasson also favored acknowledging Ms Aragon, as did Dennis Doyle, who encouraged the Commission to constitute a committee to review such “nominations” as appropriate.

Comm Queen agreed with the comments made, but wanted Comm Hale to be a part of the discussion before any decisions are made. 

Comm Beijen asked if the Chief could appoint a committee made up of staff that would make recommendations as names come up for consideration, to the Commission for approval.

Comm Ricci agreed.

President Stiglich recommended this topic go back to Facilities Committee to work with the Dept staff to come up with a mechanism/process for making recommendations to the full Commission.

Toni Powell, Dir LCR, cautioned that any process not be susceptible to the advocacy or favoritism of any particular interest group or party, that an objective criteria and process be utilized.


(DISCUSSION) Committee reports, other reports

·         Program committee

Comm Fetiçō said that the committee would be meeting Nov. 29.

·         Finance committee

The Finance Committee met last evening. Commission Queen and I were present, as was Chief Siffermann, Ms. Magee, and Mr. Chan   Comm Lingad Ricci was excused.


In addition to developing the priority recommendations for the proposed audit that were presented earlier, the committee discussed two other important issues.


We discussed the possibility and feasibility of our Juvenile Probation Department charging other counties for housing of out of county arrestees in our juvenile hall for more than 48 hours.  The Chief indicated that he will be meeting with other juvenile probation department chiefs in the near future, and he will explore what they do. We anticipate that, following his inquiries and other investigation, he will return to our committee with recommendations on this issue.


We discussed the upcoming budget process. Ms. Magee indicated that the Juvenile Probation Department is already consulting with JPD “inside stakeholders” to determine needs and priorities.  It is anticipated that the Mayor’s budget instructions, due in early December, will include requested cuts. Commissioner queen proposed that tit might be advantageous for the Department to request an “ideal budget” –one that accurately reflects the Department’s hope for funding.  Ms Magee indicated that the best approach for responding to a request for cuts is to provide a budget that complies with expressed City needs.  This will enable us to maintain control of where the budgeted reductions are to be made.  It will also show that we are willing to work with the system to achieve our ends.  Chief Siffermann further suggested that we might gain favor, in the budget process, by highlighting ideas for raising revenues –such as the propose idea of charging other counties for housing their residents.  The Department will have a proposed budget ready for Finance Committee review in early January, and the Department will submit the budget by February 21, 2007.


An in-depth review of the Department’s fiscal operations was tabled until the next meeting of this committee. 


Respectfully submitted:  Dirk J. Beijen

·         Facilities committee

There was no report

·         Ad Hoc committee on performance evaluations

Comm Queen reported that they would be setting up a meeting with the Chief soon.

(public comments)

There were none.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission

There were none.



(DISCUSSION) Requests for future agenda items. 

Comm Queen asked to have a discussion on the anti-gang injunction.



(ACTION)  Adjournment

A decision on having a meeting in Dec will be withheld until closer to the date (Dec 13) to see if a need existed for it.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:30pm.